Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"Are you ok?"

So I'm on the train heading to work....chatting on the phone. No mind blowing conversation. Just some regular stuff...and I do my best to use my "inside on a cellphone voice" so that the entire car is not burdened with the boring details of my life...as the train is about to pull into the station, and I stood up, this young woman about my age, who was sitting a few rows away, goes 'are you ok?' I was caught offguard, but replied 'yes, why'? She said oh ok, just that your face looks like you're very upset or ready to cry! *YIKES!!!* I've had many a conversations on my cell in public that have really made me cry but this wasn't one of them.....I pleasantly thanked her for her concern and wished her a pleasant day. I don't ever remember seeing her on the train before as opposed to those strangers that you say hello to every morning because you see them Monday through Friday morning week after week. I guess it would have been less strange to me if maybe one of them asked me.

So then I wondered, do I always look upset and ready to cry? Is that just my normal expression? AND let's say WHAT IF, something was wrong and her question caused me to BURST INTO TEARS and begin a long winded story of some personal problem....what was she going to do? Say oh sorry to hear it and make her way up the stairs? Sit there with me, give me Kleenex and wipe my tears?? Guess we'll never know.

I think these things only happen to me. Has this ever happened to you?

2 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger quiet capricorn said...

something kinda like that happened to me once:

i had just started wearing contacts, and i wasn't quite used to them yet. i was waiting for the subway, and as it came into the station, i somehow managed to get dust in both my eyes. i didn't get on the train, so i'm standing at the edge of the platform with my head down, hand on my forehead. i'm trying to blink the dust out of my eyes, and of course they're watering like crazy, so i have tears running down my face. out of nowhere this huge woman lunges at me and yanks me backward. i didn't see her coming, so i go into panic mode and start swinging, until she says "no matter what it is, it can't be that bad. it's ok, you can talk to me."

she assumed i was going to jump onto the tracks, and thought she had just saved my life...

after i got over the shock of being suddenly dragged away by a stranger who came out of nowhere, i managed to explain why i was "crying." she got all upset and stormed off. she's the one who jumped (no pun intended) to the wrong conclusion and she gets mad at me?

whatever...she should have been minding her own business instead of watching me so hard...

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger The Comedy of Errors Called Me said...

@QC - I used to wear contacts and always had people lookin at me like what's wrong with her, between the blinking, tearing, etc....
I can't believe she got mad though!! Like she was disappointed you didn't want to jump!! SHESH!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home