Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Che poster is such a conversation piece!


I love this poster. Its always fun when someone sees it...

There was the cable guy at my old apartment on Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn...He most like hey who is that guy. Someone had bought him a Che tshirt but he said before he wore it he wanted to know about him. I think I gave him more information than he really wanted but at least he left with a clear understanding of what he was about to wear!

Then there were the movers couple years back who asked me if I was a Communist with strange expressions on their faces. Even though I said no, I noticed they were EXTRA careful with my things....

The latest was a Dominican cable guy at my new place. After seeing it, he asked if I was Spanish. When I said no, he was even more visibly puzzled. So why do you even have that? I told him I read a lot about him and liked what he stood for. Couldn't really tell if he agreed or thought I was nuts and wanted to get out quick before the CIA came for me.

Someone else once asked if he was my idol.....don't think I'd agree with that one. I don't think he'd want to be seen as an idol either. But I do admire his strength and conviction about what he believed in. Being asthmatic, clumsy and awkward (as he somewhat was) makes me think that you can truly do anything you put your mind to. "Better to die standing, than to live kneeling".

I can't wait until my furniture delivery guys come this weekend....see what comments they have!!

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

The guy at your Ocean Avenue apartment had the right idea. I've met people who have on the shirt and have NO CLUE about the man.

Speaking of Che and Cuba, there's a really nice exhibit right now at the Studio Museum of Harlem... something-or-other Memories, but it's a lot of photography of Cuba. You'd like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home