Thursday, September 20, 2007

my adventure with braces begins.....

somehow, i escaped adolescence without getting braces. (my brother however, was not so lucky)
I'm not sure I would have survived the experience as a kid. I'm very self conscious of my teeth to start with. That along with my lisp. I think only now that I'm older am I more comfortable with it.
And being me, why would I like to remain comfortable???

So at 30, I've decided to bite the bullet, and get braces. When I asked my brother how bad it will be, he said "Good luck with that" That its a dull constant pain, that only goes away, the day before you get them tightened and the pain begins again. But as a glutton for punishment I decided to continue with it anyway.

So today was my appointment to have them put on. I'm a big chicken as we all know and just wanted it to be over. After waiting 1/2 hour, the dentist came to what I thought was prep me. At the last appointment, I was told I'd be put to sleep for this. As she worked and worked, I realized they weren't putting me to sleep after all....she lied.

Now that little suction thing makes it hard enough to talk. But in addition to that, I have this...mouth guard....cheek stretcher kinda thing in my mouth, that keeps it wide open, and of course, prevents you from saying anything that anyone else could understand. I'm reduced to nods whether or not I'm ok......

An hour later, she finished adhering the brackets to all my teeth and left the room to get the other orthodontist. I braved the view, and picked up the little mirror tool on the tray......I didn't expect to be thrilled but I was horrified when I saw she used the metal brackets as opposed to the ceramic ones I requested and am paying an extra two thousand bucks for. They must put something on top of these things I thought to myself. What, they are going to spray paint them white or something?

So when both orthodontists returned, and without the mouth thingy in, I was able to ask....'um, which part of these is ceramic?????' That look of UHOH flashed across their faces when they realized. They used the wrong ones. And the look of panic crossed my face when she said don't worry we can fix it. She then proceeded to remove ALL TWENTY......This won't hurt she says. Same way they were putting me to sleep, she lied. *sigh*

So not only did I have to get braces, I had to get them twice in one day. When she was finished, she goes "BEAUTIFUL!" I beg to differ. While my not so perfect teeth were, well, not so perfect, I find these things in my mouth far from beautiful. I have decent self confidence, but right about now I think I want to stay in my house for the next 12 months.

OH and did I mention, the food lover that I am, I can't chew. She said that's normal too and I will likely be unable to chew for the next 4-6 weeks. It was fitting that everyone around me on the train going home was eating right?? I guess at least I'll lose some weight.

....to be continued I'm sure.

4 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Who in the world gets two sets of braces in ONE day?!?! LOL!! You're def a trooper!!!

Well, I guess we'll have to wait 12 months before Chipotle's again...sigh.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger The Comedy of Errors Called Me said...

OH HELL NO!!! u want me to DIE?!?!?!?! gimme a couple weeks and I will find a way to eat even if it means pain!!! lol lol

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the pain, but at least your teeth will be straighter and you'll feel better about yourself. I've needed braces since I was a kid, but never got them; I thought it was crazy to spend so much money to straighten teeth when you're going to die, anyway, but I just heard myself on a tape recorder yesterday and realized that I have a speech impediment. I sound like I'm slurring my words deliberately or mumbling, (It's obvious when I pronounce "S's" and "C's") but I'm not trying to sound that way at all! I'm frustrated because I thought I was talking in a clear, American voice all of my life; I feel as though I have to relearn how to pronounce words again. No wonder people thought I was a teenager.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger The Comedy of Errors Called Me said...

anonymous - thanks for the encouragement. its been getting better.
i've had a lisp my entire life. I rarely notice it myself but if I listen to myself on tape i'm like YIKES!!! But I've come to accept it as part of what makes me unique... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home