Saturday, September 27, 2008

What's it with the UGLY CARPETS??

I really need to write out all my stories since June. But alas, I have new one...*sigh* check back to Dec 06 for a refreshed on the background of this story. BUT to summarize.....

December 06, the year I turned 30, and presumably wiser, I purchased a garden apartment/coop. Because I HATED the color of otherwise perfect, brand new the carpet, I pulled it up to discover the wood floor under it to be in horrible condition. I proceeded to deal with the drama of having the floor ripped up and replaced and this was the beginning of my realization that something was just not right with the floors.

Between then and now, I've had a fairly good life in my not so new anymore apartment. My upstairs neighbor is a bit of a crab but no biggie. I had a swarming of termites April of last year. Got past that....The sellers did a cosmetic nice but crappy job underneath in the kitchen and the bathroom.

A few weeks ago, when two tiles came out from the shower wall, I decided to renovate the whole bathroom; gut it, and completely update it..whirlpool bathtub, new shower heads, etc. etc. etc.....The job would take about 10 days, but I would have the new tub installed the same day. While not fully finished, I would be able to use the vital parts of the bathroom - the tub and the toilet.

This past Wednesday, the men came to start the job. They gutted the bathroom and all was moving along...until they pulled the tub out. *Screech go the brakes* The head of the project came to me and said "we have a big problem". He proceeded to show me the concrete the previous owner used to level out a uneven floor. Never mind it was WAAAY more concrete than should have been used, and it still didn't even do a good job...But worse than that were the beams under the tub, that looked to be damaged by you guessed it....termites. He wanted to go into the crawl space under the apartment to investigate more. I put on my rain boats, and trekked underneath with him. Neither of us were prepared for what we saw. DUH ----TERMITES!!!! A lot of them. All over the place. And ALOT of damage the the beams, supporting my building. I shall spare the details but brought back pictures from the trip.

We went back into my apartment and proceeded to tell me obviously he couldn't install the tub on top of these beams. That from looking at the condition of the beams, I hadn't literally fallen through the floor....I'll let that sink in for a moment...



SO, luckily, any structural issues and expenses are the coop's responsibility. But now, at noon on the first day of my bathroom renovations, I'm told, I'll have no bathroom, and will need to leave the apartment because ALOT of structural work will need to be done. By 6pm that day, the coop has located a vacant apartment in the complex, and I will be moved in THE MORNING. Yes, the next morning. Have you ever been to my place? Or helped me move? I have ALOT OF SH*T!!!!!! But with no working bathroom, or FLOOR BEAMS for that matter, its time to go. By 3pm Thursday afternoon I was all moved and beginning to unpack. Friday I was back at work, telling coworkers what I'm SURE they think is an exaggerated or just completed made up story. But alas, its true.

So as I type this, I'm in my temporary home, for anywhere from a month to four monts..and guess what. IT HAS A HIDEOUS CARPET!!!! everything has come full circle but best believe even if I could, I WOULD NOT be pulling up this carpet. Back to unpacking I go...

1 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

If yu know wha good fi yu, yu wi leff it, lol.

All I know is that I'm glad you discovered this before the bottom fell out. Literally!

Girl, you need to write a book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home