Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The new pick up line - "Hi there, do you talk to God often??"

So last night a story on the news was the Evangelist Creflo Dollar is being investigated because he has a private jet....I remember him because the first time I saw his tv show was when I was living in Chicago...it was actually pretty good! Until I found out the seating at his church is based on who gives what. Like the ticketmaster of churchs. Over a certain amount, you're front row...just a small donation? nosebleed seats for you!!

ANYWAYS...it reminded me of a "My Life in Chicago" story...I was in the airport baggage claim, returning to Chicago from my monthly trip back home to New York. While waiting for my bag, a young woman and I started chatting. She seemed nice enough, didn't appear to be homeless, mentally unstable, or just plain strange like a lot of Chicago folks....Seeing as how LONG it usually takes to get your bag, by the time it came, we exchanged numbers saying we'd keep in touch.

Now, I USED to be a lot more willing to talk to people I don't know....and being in Chicago where I knew NO ONE, and it was rare to meet someone interesting, when she called and invited me to meet her at a party, I actually accepted.

The night of, I arrive, and there's a decent sized group of folks at this private hall. Mostly young, professional looking....seemed like I might have found a group of folks to network or hang out with...it was only after a few songs played, and I talked to a couple people that things seemed a bit...different....not too often at a party, even if its private do you hear a lot of gospel-type songs.....and there were no scanty dressed women....then when a guy approached me and said 'soooo how often do you pray'.....only then did i realize that her 'party' was really a church of christ youth gathering..she just happened to forget to mention that part I guess. hey, not sayin anything is wrong with that...but just like i don't like a guy approaching me sayin 'sooo shorty, you come here often?', I don't really think the first thing a guy should ask is how often or when I pray....call me crazy....well, long story short, after a dozen invites to their church service the next morning, I slipped out the door unnoticed and took my heathen behind home....if this was all Chicago had to offer to counter the country ghetto folks, I had to get back to NY....ah..wonderful Chicago.

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Onika Pascal said...

fuss yuh like a fete lol...I'm only laughing because of the question I asked you last night on IM...do you pray? rofl. and look at that I'm not from nor have I ever been to Chicago.

Hmmm but maybe my question was I asked reiterates a point

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger The Comedy of Errors Called Me said...

u had a point cause of a convo. he was either tryin to pick me up or make convo lol so HUSH lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home