Friday, October 06, 2006

Nothing in Life is Free!!

The ridiculousness of my evening last night drove me to start recording the comedy of errors called My Life.

We should all know by my age in life, that nothing, nothing...NOTHING in life is free....But I insist on learning the hard way...

Was talking to a friend about Craigslist and she said they have a section for FREE STUFF! where people are trying to get rid of things, and she said how she scored some good stuff. Now I'm in the process of moving...I think...Well, maybe not now...that's another story in and of itself. So yesterday I saw a posting from a guy who's got 50+ moving boxes and packing material that he's giving away. Now that I've made a career of moving, I've spent hundreds of bucks on boxes. So I thought HEY this is great!! So I emailed him back, he replied quickly and we arranged to meet. In Hoboken, New Jersey. Its 5 minutes from the Holland or Lincoln tunnel he says.

So I think, ah one toll and some gas, and I'll score over $100 in stuff! So after work, I get into my car, and start on my way....but as I drive, I think hmmmm....who is this guy, and why would he go through the trouble....I can benefit from this but what does he have to gain? And then, being me, the WORRIER, i start WORRYING. what if this is a set up? and there are no boxes? or there are boxes, and they are disgusting. OR WORSE, HE'S DISGUSTING. some sex offender, rapist, serial killer......I'm now at the entrance to the tunnel.....Well, I think to myself, 2 of my friends know where I'm going. If I don't make it home tonight, my mom will call them first, and they will tell of my whereabouts. The police will seize my computer, and find this guys info....if he is a real person.....when the police break down the door to his house, he'll be long gone...I quiet the people in my head and say it'll be ok......and now I'm through the tunnel. in JERSEY. That drive wasn't too bad. Only took me 40 minutes to get from Queens to the Tunnel. So i'm in JERSEY. And I realize.....Have I ever had a good time driving in Jersey? for my friends, you know the answer to this....HELL to the NO!!!!

So, an hour and change later, touring 3 neighborhoods, who knows how much gas, and 6 phone calls to "Matt" (in which i learn he and his wife just moved here from MASSACHUSETTS so I realize he is as clueless as I am as to how to find my way).....I realize most would have long given up, but I am stubborn....I've officially come to the conclusion, that this is STUPID....yeah only then do I realize it, and I'm about to give up. when i see a sign WELCOME TO HOBOKEN. Horrid memories of my day lost in San Fernando, lookin for Couva come rushing back. But now I'm there, and I find the place, Matt, and his 50 boxes.

So I finally met Matt, dressed in his khakis and polo shirt, who apologized profusely for the trouble. Very nice guy. His wifes' job relocated them here, so they were moved professionally and thought it was a waste to just throw all these good boxes away. Wow. People like that really still exisit??? So I loaded my car til I could fit no more of boxes, bubble wrap and the such...getting outta Jersey was a breeze and not a moment too soon....now I'm all set for the move!!! which...when I got home, got a call, that move may not even happen.....*sigh* BUT I'VE GOT FREE BOXES DAMNIT!!!!!!

And this is my life....to be continued...

3 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

LOL...I'm sorry, but this is hysterical. Well, look at the bright side, you definitely spent less than what you'd have paid for them in the store.

I guess now's a bad time to tell you that I have boxes at my house, right? I really didn't think of that when you told me about the Craigslist thing...didn't even know you were moving. Yay!!

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hell to the no!" rofl I love that saying...woohoo! well you got some good boxes out of it

That was hilfreakinarious!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-All I can say is you are a hot mess!!!

-Oh yeah and get some help...You know - for those people that talk to you and you respond to, in your head....Luv ya!!!

Romey Rome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home